Presenting 1271 Bergen St., a Certified Landmark in Brooklyn. This 125 y/o, 4-Story, 3-Unit Townhome will be delivered vacant with all original hand-carved wood and pristine 1890's stained-glass. Previously occupied by bootleggers in the Roaring Twenties, the House is now fully upgraded and in turn-key condition (last renovated 2014). Please contact for a sales brochure.
Bathtub gin for sale!
Crown Heights North Historic District I.
1271 Bergen St. was constructed circa 1895 in splendid Renaissance Revival style, featuring beautiful alternating, full-height angled bays, and a classic rough-faced stone box stoop. Designed by the famed John J. Magilligan, the garden and parlor portions of the facades are limestone, and the upper portions are tancolored iron-spot brick. The upper floors are adorned with foliate ornament and egg-and-dart molding.
Inside the house youll find all the original and beautiful details of the Victorian era preserved, including wainscotting, molded wood transoms, and leaded and stained-glass. This isnt Kensington Palace, but some parts look like it. There are tiled fireplaces, 10 foot tall stained-glass pocket doors, the original 10 ft. pier mirror in the parlor, and plenty of intricate paneling throughout the building. The parlor floor ceiling height is over 10 feet 10 inches tall.
All the original woodwork has been carefully maintained and re-planted through renovations. Please ask about the secret trap door still intact in the wall downstairs.
The three kitchens and large windowed bathrooms are in excellent condition. The duplex apt. kitchen was upgraded and moved upstairs from the garden level to the parlor floor, with a huge island built in the middle that is perfect for entertaining and utility. (Must see!)
*Listing Pics. Much of the interior of the house cant be shown here. Please contact for additional pics and info. Viewing the place is easy with 24-hours notice.
The 800+ SF backyard is serene. Under the dirt you may find old broken bottles of booze and petrified turnips. Above ground theres a historic Magnolia tree that blossoms outside your back windows. The tree was named Pierre Magnol, director of the Botanical Gardens in Montpelier in the South of France circa 1665. The precious seeds made their way to England in 1734, and became one of the first exotic plants brought to the United States. They were planted around Crown Heights for beautification in 1885, but most of the trees planted north of Philadelphia did not survive the climate. One of the few remaining examples outside of the carefully maintained Brooklyn Botanical Garden is NYC's only living landmark, that tree on the sidewalk of Lafayette Ave. officially protected by the Preservation Commission since 1970.
Around the turn of the 20th century, as it was becoming one of Brooklyns most desirable residential areas, Crown Heights North came to be known as the fashionable St. Marks District, named after St. Marks Ave. that runs parallel to Bergen St. Four-story flats buildings, most built in Renaissance Revival style, sprung up throughout the district in the 1890s. 1271 Bergen St. is one of the finest examples that was landmarked in 2007.
The house is 3 minutes from the Brooklyn Childrens Museum and Brower Park. A few blocks walk to all the shopping on Atlantic Ave., buses, and the A, C, 2, 3, 4, 5 subway lines. Great nearby dining includes Barons, Chavelas, Saraghina, and The Food Sermon Kitchen. Same-day grocery delivery is available from Whole Foods, Amazon, Max Delivery, FoodKick, Costco, Instacart, Jet City, and Target.
- 3-Family Residential Building, total of approx. 3,420 SF.
- Youll love the XL property lot size of approx. 19 ft x 100 ft. ( +/- 1,900 SF).
- Building is built 19 ft. x 45 ft. ( +/- 855 SF per floor). Roof height is 42 ft.
- 4 Floors including garden level. Separate basement floor usable for storage.
- Current configuration is three FM units. R6 Zoning.
- Garden (1st) Floor & Parlor (2nd) Floor: One (1) 3-Bedroom/1.5-Bathroom Owners Duplex Apt. Unit w/ private garden, storage area, and separate W/D room.
- 3rd and 4th Floors: Two (2) 2-Bedroom/1-Bathroom floor-through Apts.
- Gut renovation of all units recently completed. Over $175,000 in recent capital improvements to the property, including: 3 new kitchens with all new appliances, 4 new bathrooms, house-wide updated electrical, new hot water tank, newly restored wrought Iron fencing and gate in the front, and new fencing in the backyard.
- Value add options include conversion to single-family mansion, finish basement, further luxury upgrades, and utilization of the air rights for penthouse construction ( +/- 500 SF), and greenhouse construction ( +/- 500 SF), rooftop hot tub, and 1890's style vegetable garden.
This information is not verified for authenticity or accuracy and is not guaranteed and may not
reflect all real estate activity in the market.
REBNY Listing Service, Inc. All rights reserved.